Saturday, September 12, 2009

YO GABBA GABBA!!!

Welcome to my second installment as a 'Guest Blogger' on E's site. I have to start this with the disclaimer that these photos are not Mom approved. As I don't spend much time on blogs (or behind a camera) I don't have much to compare them to....

So a few weeks ago reading the Sunday paper (more than likely on a Wednesday or Thursday night) I came across an add for a Target sponsored event featuring Yo Gabba Gabba. For those of you out there not familiar with Gabba Land, it is Ethan's generation's version of Barney on acid. There are five monster friends living inside of DJ Lance Rock's Boombox. During the course of each show, through songs, art, skits and cartoons, the friends learn important lessons, such as never giving up, eating veggies and my favorite: don't bite your friends.

Anyway, so I woke up today and the reminder came up on my calendar. I did not know much about it and as I did little planning (ok - even less planning than I normally do) I was not sure if I would go or not. But I figured, why not? It was free and worse case scenario we would leave early if it was lame. As it was a 'Reading Festival' I really did not see how it could be cool - Gabba or no Gabba.

So E and I quickly dress and get out to the site (early - can you believe it?!?) and it turns out we have to park and get transported to the site.

Now I am starting to think this is going to be a little bigger than I expected.

We get on the bus and after a 10 minute drive arrive at the site. Much bigger than I expected.....We're talking a mini taste of Chicago.

So Ethan and I trek up a hill and there, on stage, is DJ Lance in person.

Lance gets right to business, and even though it is hot and humid and Lance Rock is wearing a wooly hat and a polyester jump suit, he dances and sings for about 40 minutes.

After Gabba finished, the show did get lame (live children book reads aren't cool at all) but E and I had plenty to do, from the nature center's hawk to paddle boats; we had a great time.

I do have to admit we had to make one stop back at the car as I forgot my wallet. Somethings will never ever change..

E's First Festival
This is Brobee. Hard to believe someone is making millions off of this goofy thing...


This is Ethan's first experience with a sound man at a mixing board. Coincidentally, Ethan was the only kid interested in the sound board to the point they had to rope it off because of him.
In this picture, you can't see him but Ethan is looking at the sound guy. Many a nights I have looked at sound men the same way....wondering what the heck they were doing....




Sadly, Ethan's legs were too short and I had to do all the paddling....I was able to work off the hot dog we just ate.


And here is a little video sample. I am happy to say Lance did not lip sync. Brobee, on the other hand, took a page right out of Britney's book....Shame on you, Brobee. Shame on you.

No comments: